A semester abroad
and a whole new mess of roads to wander.

20 February 2011

I love Florence.

Journal- 19.2.2011

Plan for the day- Boboli Gardens. I hear it is supposed to be a nice day, so I wear shorts with tights, boots, and a button up shirt. I know this will not be enough to keep me warm, but I figure I‘d rather wear this outfit on a day that‘s expected to be somewhat nice rather than any other. So I throw on my leather jacket and a scarf, crossing my fingers that I somehow won’t freeze. I walk out my door and reach Santa Croce where the sun is flooding the piazza. This weather calls for some Shwayze I think to myself, pop in my headphones and loosen up the scarf, my neck isn’t cold at all! I head down the road and upon reaching the arno, the jacket’s coming off, I’m actually somewhat hot with it on.. I don’t remember the last time I felt hot. Walking down the arno, everyone is out on this beautiful day. It’s fun to see the people laying out on the arno walls, couples stopping to enjoy their lunch in the sun, tourists taking photos of the ponte vecchio. I want to join in on the ‘doce far niente’ (the joy of doing nothing), but I’ve got to meet Hayley and Stacie at Boboli. So I continue my stroll and arrive at Pitti Palace, get my ticket (students are free-- I feel so VIP). Walking into Boboli, I am overwhelmed by how enormous this place is… and I still have to find my friends. After wandering a bit, we reunite and set off for exploring this beautiful garden in disbelief of what it actually is.. Or was. How this garden was made just for the Medici family, just to have a beautiful garden in their backyard, just because they had the money, just because they could. How Eleonora Medici was able to just come right out here behind her palace to have a picnic by the island fountain, or to take a stroll after dinner under the moonlight. With a view of all of Florence, beneath her, above all the rest. We make our way up to the highest point of the gardens to bask in the sun and take in the breathtaking views. And so I find myself here with you journal, thinking about how I could do this everyday, how there is just not enough time, to do it all, to see it all.. But to still enjoy the ‘dolce far niente.’

No comments:

Post a Comment