A semester abroad
and a whole new mess of roads to wander.

01 March 2011

So used to Italian guys being overtly creepy..

and blatantly hitting on anything remotely female, that i've learned to ignore them. So today, while walking to my volunteer school, a young man gestures toward me and says something in Italian I can't understand (plus I have my headphones in so can't really even hear him anyway) and I roll my eyes and continue walking, ignoring him as i've been acclimated to. But then he looks a bit offended and in my rush I realize he was trying to tell me my bus pass was falling out of my jacket pocket (granted I had no need for this because it was just an old one from Rome) but I was surprised at his genuinely harmless and considerate gesture. I felt bad for instantly writing him off but sadly, this is how a girl has to survive here. This must be a reflection of the cold, passionless, numb, and shallow society that has come to be of recent according to my women in Italian society. Women are forced to put up this cold front in order to protect themselves from the objectifying men who are only doing it because they have been raised (so coldly themselves) to think they can, and to think it's good.

But anyway, speaking of volunteering...
it's upsetting how much smarter and more cultured kids outside of America are. haha
These kids are already quite fluent in English and learning cultural things about both the UK and the US. The 14-15 year olds know more about U2 and bloody Sunday than I do, and the 16-17 year olds.. well, they use a literature book just like the ones I used in highschool.. meaning.. in English. They are doing the same stuff I did in HS.. but in another language. Today i was supposed to talk to them about Robinson Crusoe. We read an excerpt from that in HS and all... but its not like I remembered that ish! haha I had to basically do the smae hw they did to educate myself on it before trying to teach them about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment